Friday, April 22, 2011

The Good News and Bad

First, the good news.

Today, I bought a pair of jeans that were a full six inches smaller in the waist than the last pair I purchased. I went by myself, picked them out and actually tried them on. I told the clerk that I didn't think they would fit, but wanted to see how much more work I needed to do.

I actually laughed when I buttoned them up without the first hint of a problem. The first thing I heard was the sales clerk asking from the other side of the door, "I guess they fit, huh?"

Why, yes. Yes, they do.

Here's the problem, though. I long ago lost track of how many pushes I've made in my life to lose weight. Many times, I have bought new clothes only to use it as an excuse to not try quite so hard thereafter. If I can fit in new jeans, then, by gosh, I can afford to have that hamburger. Or pizza. Or candy bar. Before I know it, the new jeans don't fit any more and I break out the old ones ... the fat ones.

No more.

The jeans I've been wearing are far too big, so I just cinch 'em up with a belt and go about my baggy business. Jeanie fusses. Friends fuss. I put on my pants and then walk right back out of them if I've not yet buckled my belt. Say a prayer for me and that my excuses to slack off cease forevermore.

See you at the Y!

No comments:

Post a Comment